Summary: Learn to fold foil food packets that make quick and easy meals.
Food that is wrapped in foil can be cooked in the oven, on the grill, or over an open camp fire. This cooking method prevents loss of moisture and produces very tender meat. Plus, there’s minimal clean up.
- Aluminum foil
- Food items – usual food packet combination includes: meat, veggies and 2 – 3 tablespoons of sauce or broth
Note: you can substitute the foil with parchment paper if placing the food packets in the oven. This is not recommended if cooking over a bbq or camp fire as it will just add to the fire.
1. Select a piece of foil that is approximately 15” long. (My aluminum foil was 15” in length and default width of 12”.) Place food items in the center of foil and drizzle with sauce or broth.
2. Bring up the lengths of the foil sides like a tent and roll down towards center, stopping about an 1” before you reach the meat – this leaves room for heat circulation.
3. Fold the foil ends toward center to seal pack.
4. Cook packet in oven, on grill or over a camp stove.
- Balsamic Chicken – 4 breasts will cook in about 30 minutes at 425 F
- Salmon with lemon, garlic and dill, with 2 tablespoons of butter or white wine – 4 fillets will cook in 20 minutes at 350 F