Summary: Learn how to make stuffed french toast at home. The new approach here is how to cut the bread, the rest of the recipe is simple.
My friend ordered stuffed french toast for brunch at a local cafe and it looked so good, I had to re-create it for the home kitchen. After a few trial and errors, I perfected the recipe. The trick is to use medium-low heat and to cook the french toast for 4 minutes per side. To ensure the cheese melts, the skillet is covered with a lid or aluminum foil.
This is the brunch recipe I use when I want to impress people. It looks and tastes amazing but is very straight forward to make. Here is the recipe directions with pictures.
- 10 – 12 inch skillet
- Lid or aluminum foil to cover skillet
Ingredients for Bacon and Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Serves: 2 – 3 | Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes
- from loaf of french bread cut 3 X 1” bread slices, flayed (sliced in half but not all the way – so bread opens up like a book)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs milk
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 – 6 slices of bacon, cut in half before frying
- 6 slices of thinly sliced cheese (suggestions: cheddar, Swiss, Gouda)
- 1 tbs butter
2. Place bacon in cold skillet over medium heat. Cook until desired crispiness is reached. Place two slices of bacon and two slices of cheese between the opening of the bread slice.
You can keep the rest of the bacon warm in the oven at 200F.
3. Place a clean 10 – 12 inch skillet over medium low (about 3 or 4 out of 10) heat to warm up for 2 -3 minutes. Add butter and swirl it around until it evenly coats the skillet.
4. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk and salt & pepper in medium bowl. Dip and coat each stuffed french bread into the egg mixture. Add to buttered skillet and repeat with remaining pieces of bread. Cover with lid or aluminum foil (the steam will help warm the centers of the french toast).
5. Set timer for 4 minutes. When 4 minutes is over, check the underside of the bread. It should have a nice brown crust like the picture below. If it’s not browning, try increasing the heat by one level. If the underside is starting to burn, reduce the heat by one level.
Flip and cook for a further 4 minutes. Serve with maple syrup , extra bacon and fresh sliced citrus fruit such as oranges and grapefruit.